From "The History of Rome", 2nd Edition published in 1999,

by Doreen Crosby Sutliff 

with the assistance of Edward Sutliff.

Rome Community Hall

The community hall was built in 1836. It had school sessions on both floors. It was called Rome Academy. Later it became the Rome Public School Building. When the brick Rome School was built in the 1920's, the frame structure was moved from the corner to the school yard.

Much of the time only the first floor was used for classes and the second floor was used by the township. Here is where general elections were held. Election day was rather disrupting to school. As the horses were tied outside the windows while adults cast their votes, children were much more interested in the activity than the 3 R's.

This building was used for school until 1923 when consolidation took over, and it was moved to the south and a little east.

About 1900, the town was using a large room on the second floor of the old hotel at Rome Station 2686 Route 6, for a town hall. Trustees met there. When the Grange was organized in 1903 they met in this public hall.

About 1922, the town hall part of the building at the center was condemned for public gatherings. In about 1923 when it was moved it became the Rome Community Hall. There was much work done on it by the trustees and also by other organizations. The Grange came back to this building and took over the upstairs for their hall. During the years they have put in much work and made it a pleasant place for meetings. In the early 1950's they erected a fire escape.

In the early days equipment which included an electric stove and curtains. For a few years general elections were held in the school house, but in later years this was taken back to the community hall.

This building continued to be a community hall owned by the trustees but free for use by anyone wishing it. The only requirements being to notify and pay the janitor for services needed and rendered and to leave the hall and all its property in as good condition as it was found.

From "The History of Rome", 2nd Edition published in 1999,

by Doreen Crosby Sutliff 

with the assistance of Edward Sutliff.

Rome Community Hall

The community hall was built in 1836. It had school sessions on both floors. It was called Rome Academy. Later it became the Rome Public School Building. When the brick Rome School was built in the 1920's, the frame structure was moved from the corner to the school yard.

Much of the time only the first floor was used for classes and the second floor was used by the township. Here is where general elections were held. Election day was rather disrupting to school. As the horses were tied outside the windows while adults cast their votes, children were much more interested in the activity than the 3 R's.

This building was used for school until 1923 when consolidation took over, and it was moved to the south and a little east.

About 1900, the town was using a large room on the second floor of the old hotel at Rome Station 2686 Route 6, for a town hall. Trustees met there. When the Grange was organized in 1903 they met in this public hall.

About 1922, the town hall part of the building at the center was condemned for public gatherings. In about 1923 when it was moved it became the Rome Community Hall. There was much work done on it by the trustees and also by other organizations. The Grange came back to this building and took over the upstairs for their hall. During the years they have put in much work and made it a pleasant place for meetings. In the early 1950's they erected a fire escape.

In the early days equipment which included an electric stove and curtains. For a few years general elections were held in the school house, but in later years this was taken back to the community hall.

This building continued to be a community hall owned by the trustees but free for use by anyone wishing it. The only requirements being to notify and pay the janitor for services needed and rendered and to leave the hall and all its property in as good condition as it was found.

Powered by ConvertriPowered by Convertri